Total Pageviews

Friday, October 26, 2012

NetTalk Duo WiFi

Well, I finally got it put together.  The NetTalk Duo WiFi now is up and running.  I did have a little difficulty setting up the wireless.  I had just installed Windows 8 and the USB drivers weren't compatible.  I had to get out an old XP machine and run the management program from it.  This is a one time event though so I don't see it as a problem.

As you can see there are now only 3 devices involved - the NetTalk Duo WiFi, the Mobile Hotspot and the Telephone.  The NetTalk connects wirelessly to the Moble Hotspot to get to the internet.  That is much better than the magicJack Plus since it requires a hard  wired ethernet connection and thus the need for a router or an extender.

So how is the quality?
First I have to tell you that my Telus WiFi Hotspot is connected 4G ((not LTE) but the upload and download speeds are about 5Mb down and 1Mb up.  The quality is excellent at least for the 5 minutes I talked.  I know some of you have been asking if the quality will be good when we attach with 3G while we are in Florida.  I can't answer that right now but I am hopeful since the NetTalk Duo say it only requires 128K bits per second both up and down.  Then the only thing we'd have to worry about is disconnects between the Hotspot and the cellular towers. I'll be in Florida in late November and I'll let you know then.  But for now,  I'm pretty happy with the NetTalk.
Update 10/31/2012
Today, I really need to get a fax and avoid an hour drive each way to pick up a document.  I attached my HP all-in-one printer to the NetTalk Duo and I got the fax.  This is something that you could not do with MagicJack.

No comments:

Post a Comment