Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Clean Installation of Windows 10 on the Yoga Tablet 2 10"

My Yoga Tablet 2 10" originally came with Windows 8.1. I was very impressed with it from the day bought it and that hasn't changed.  I have wanted, for a long time, to put Windows 10 on but I was afraid that I would brick it with the preview versions. Windows 10 was released on July 29th so, now is the time

The Tablet came with only 32GB for the C: Drive and by the time I wanted to upgrade I had applications and  data that only left 7GB of free space.  So, I thought I would really like  to have a clean install of Windows 10 and then re-install all my apps and data.

The clean installation meant the I would have to download the ISO, install it and run it from a USB flash drive.  As you may know Windows 10 uses lots of CPU power, and battery and takes a long time.  The Yoga has only one USB port and that is the same USB port is used to power it.  With full power that really shouldn't be a problem but I didn't want to risk running out of power during the installation.  I needed a better solution.

I was watching the TWIT TV show Windows Weekly.  One of the hosts, Paul Thurrott, suggested that you could simple upgrade to Windows 10 and then do a system recovery.  What a great idea!

I had just over 7GBs free when I started.  I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool selected "Upgrade this PC now" and 2 hours or so later, Windows 10 was installed and running.  The tool would only run if I was attached to power.  All my apps and data were preserved but I was now limited to 2GBs of free space on the C: drive.  I used the Tablet this way for 2 days and then decided to do the recovery.

This is a simple process:  Settings - Update and Security - Recover - Reset this PC  I chose to get rid of all apps and data.  After the installation, I restored my apps and data from the latest backup and I have 17GBs free That's quite a change.  There was one little scare though - the Yoga originally came with Lenovo's camera app.  I couldn't find that camera app in either the Microsoft Store or on the Lenovo support web site..  It was lost in the upgrade, but it turns out, there is a Windows Camera App, that works just fine, built in to Windows 10.

Overall, I am very happy with Windows 10 on my Yoga Tablet 2 10"  The performance is amazing!






5 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,
    how does the Windows 10 tablet mode run on your tab?
    Because when I installed Win 10 over 8.1 I noticed a lot of lags and slugishness when using the tablet mode. Yesterday I tried to reset it like you did and its still lagging. Although I updated every possible driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I took so long to respond. I jjust had my hip replaced and am just getting back at this.
    Yes, I can run both desktop mode and tablet mode and both are very fast. Which tablet are you using? If it ran well with Windows 8.1 I would expect it to be better with Winodws 10 not worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi fred

    i have the lenovo yoga tablet 2 8 inches with anypen.
    I have a problem with the battery time, since win10 upgrade now only last 6 -5 hours instead 12-11 hours with windows 8.1

    is laggy in tablet mode also. How long your battery last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really haven't tested the battery. I don't feel it is uncomfortably quick to drain out. With the way I use it, I charge it about every 3 days. So, that would be more than 5 hours but less I think then 10.

      Delete
  4. I am not finding mine laggy at all. It responds very well. I did install all the latest drivers from lenovo.com/support before I upgraded to 10.

    BTW. I didn't know they made an 8" version of the Tablet 2 and I don't have the Anypen version.

    ReplyDelete