Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Installing the Windows 10 Preview

Last night I installed the Windows 10 preview.  Windows 10 won't be available to the general public until the second half of 2015 but Microsoft has allowed the tech community to download and evaluate it.  Hopefully, with customer input they can avoid the controversy they experienced when they released Windows 8.

Installing was relatively easy.  I used my Windows 7, IBM T61 laptop. .It has an Intel Duo Core T7300 processor with 3GB of memory and a 320GB hard drive.  These are way below specs available on new computers today.  My everyday laptop, with Windows 8, has 8GB of memory and an SSD.

The installation took 2 1/2 hours but didn't involve much intervention.  Basically, I registered on the Microsoft site and downloaded the preview loader.  After running it, I rebooted and it brought up the Windows Update screen.  After that it was a couple of hours to download install the nearly 3GBs of updates.  I have a recommendation here - Don't start this at 10:30PM as I did.

Windows 10 is now up and running on my laptop. More info to come.  Stay tuned if this interests you.

No comments:

Post a Comment