Total Pageviews

Friday, September 5, 2014

Afternoon changing passwords

I just made the stupid mistake that nobody should make and gave away my GMail password.  Here is what happened:

I got an email from a friend.  It really had nothing in the subject line other than random words.  Inside the message was a link and nothing else.  The fact that there was absolutely no personal info should have been an alert.  I did what I tell everyone else NEVER to do - You should not click on that link.

What came up next was a box requesting that I sign into GMail - I must have been half asleep because I entered my user ID and Password.  Up came a site I didn't recognize so I shut it down. Way to late.

This is the oldest trick in the book and I am ashamed that I actually feel for it.  The hacker put up a screen asking for a user ID and Password and I filled it in. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

I changed my GMail password and then spent the afternoon sending emails to all my contacts telling them what happened and not to open any emails from me with junk in them.  This was followed by a few hours of changing every password I own.  Luckily, all of them were not related to my GMail password.  I just changed them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment