Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 29, 2016

How to Wirelessly Cast Your Android Phone

Today, I had the privilege to present to the Port Perry Seniors Club. There were a surprising number of attendees looking to learn how to use their technology..  I did the entire presentation from my Android Phone ( a Nexus 5X ) and wirelessly projected it through my projector.  The class included both a Powerpoint Presentation and a functional demonstration of Android all from my phone.

As you may know, the recent versions of Android ( Marshmallow and Nougut ) have eliminated the ability to cast your device using the industry standard, Miracast.  And it turns out,  Chromecast doesn't support connection through my WiFi hotspost which I found strange since it works with any other standard wireless router.
  This called for a new solution.

So here is how I put it together:

1. I powered on my hotspot.
2.  I connected a $25 HooToo wireless extender to my hotspot.  This device is a router is really meant for people to who travel and spend times in hotels and want to have a secure device to extend the WiFi from the hotel.
3.  I wirelessly connected the Chromecast device to the HooToo router..
4,  I connected the phone to the HooToo router.


That allowed to me walk around during my presentation and pay attention to the audience and not have to be concerned with the technology.

1 comment: