Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pre-trip Checks in a Motorhome

We are still waiting on an Email from the MOT clarifying the licencing requirements for motorhomes.  In the mean time,  I thought I would review the pre-trip in a motorhome.  Although, the checks may be important to a commercial vehicle being driven by multiple drivers they are not really relevant to a privately owned motorhome.  So, lets have some fun...

First the Cold Engine Check:

The hood should be open, the engine off.  You now have to check the frame, the suspension, liquid leaking from anywhere and the front tires ( inside wall, tread and outside wall ).  Check for excess play in the steering and all the fluids.  It's up on the rack so I can see the tires.  Now, where is the engine again - I have the hood open.  No that's not it - that's the generator.  What's a brake chamber and where do I find it?  Oil, Transmission?  Dipsticks???  There's nothing in here!  I can't get down and crawl under the motorhome to look at the frame - first, it's dangerous and second, I'll get lightheaded when I get back up.  Not good to drive when you're lightheaded.

Next the Brake Check:

Get into the motorhome.  Wait!!!  It's too high to crawl up with out a ladder and it not safe to be in it while it's up on the rack. You can do it though with the help of one of the nice Freightliner technicians.  If you do get in now you have to check the Air Pressure (must be 90 to 100 psi)  then release the parking brake and put THE STICK on the brake peddle.  What Stick?
Now out of the motorhome - don't forget the ladder it's a long way down from the motorhome when it's up on the rack.  But luckily, when you do get down you can get to the walker to support the new knees, or hips while you continue your checks.
Back underneath - watch your head - the MOT is OK with you getting a concussion though.  Check the brakes are in adjustment and there are no leaks.  What's adjustment???  Now drain the wet tank - it was rainy when we drove in so I think all the tanks are wet including the propane.  I'm sorry Mr McGuinty, I am not going to drain the propane tank.  I just paid $1.30 a litre for that propane.  I'm getting back in the drivers seat to finalize the brake check.  Checking the air pressure - I haven;t lost more that 3 psi per minute while I was out so now I can remove the stick and start the engine to fan the brakes.   As I am pumping the brakes as fast as I can while watching the air pressure to make sure the the warning light comes (by 55 psi) on and the parking brake button releases (before 20 psi),  the Freightliner service manager is screaming.  Apparently,   the service technicians are collapsing from the exhaust of the diesel engine.   

Now for the Circle Check:

The engine is still running the right signal is on and the lights are on high beam.  We get out of the motorhome again - where is that nice technician?  Oh, I guess I'll just have to use the ladder!   Check that you have a licence with a valid sticker - don't forget the sticker is on the back plate.  I know you had them when you left the campground but the MOT wants you to make sure it didn't fall off.  Check the high beams and the right signal - It's always good to check the high beams even if yo don't drive at night.  It is important to make sure that the right signal is also working even though you always leave the left signal on when driving in Florida so you don't look out of place.  Again you have to crawl under to check the frame - I know, Freightliner checks it every year and actually knows what to look for - the MOT whats you to get the exercise of getting under the vehicle and back out - hey, it's as good as Yoga!  
If by now you haven't collapsed from the diesel fumes you can go to the back of the motorhome - here it's a little tricky so pay attention.  You can't check to see if the car is attached securely - the MOT doesn't care.  You don't have to make sure the car is in neutral and that the engine is not running (right Barry?).  Apparently, they don't care if you have a brake buddy either.
I don't know about you but Freightliner checks my tires once every year.  They adjust the air pressure to the weight of the motorhome.  I don't need to do that every day I drive.

Back in the cab (that's the drivers seat).

Now you have to go left to right on your instrument panel and call out each instrument - you want to make sure that none of them mysteriously disappeared while you were camped over the winter.  Don't forget the defrosters if for some reason these don't work you may have to use the fans until you can get if fixed.  Finally,  Mr McGuinty wants to make sure you have all the documents you are required to have.  Let me see,  the annual inspection sticker, the CVOR - where did I put them???..  I'm retired now and my memory is not as good as it used to be.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment