Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

The Quest for the "D" - Happy then Sad

We got every excited today when Dale from Durham College, before our 2 hour session in the truck, told us that as of July 1st the Ministry of Transportation changed the licencing requirements for RVers and the we would no longer require a "D" licence.   I have to say that we were jumping for joy thinking to Ministry finally got something right.  In spite of that though, we are going to continue to get our "D"

I couldn't wait to get home and check it out.  First thing I did was check out the reference In my first Blog post.  The Mimistry has pulled the link (we get the 404 error).  This was encouraging!!!!

I called the Minister's office at Queens Park and asked for the official press release.  I wanted to make sure that I got the correct information before I wrote this Blog post.  They responded very quickly with their Press Release.  I talked to Bob Nichols in the Communications Branch who the Emailed the official release entitled "Making It Easier For RV Drivers to Enjoy Summer."

I was highly DISAPPOINTED!!!!!

If you're a 5th wheeler this has got to be great news but if you drive a Class A motorhome and you tow a car, the limitation of 11,000kgs is still there.  But now, with the original web page removed and this new link:

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2011/06/making-it-easier-for-rv-operators-to-enjoy-summer.html

it has gone back to confusion about what licence is really needed.  Here is what the link has to say to Class A motorhome owners.



"Until now, Ontario drivers have needed a class A licence to tow RVs that weigh more than 4,600 kg. With this change, Ontarians can tow and operate RVs with a full class G licence as long as:
  • The combined weight of the motor vehicle and RV is not more than the current 11,000 kg limit
  • The RV is attached to the motor vehicle by a fifth wheel hook-up
  • Only one vehicle is being towed
  • The RV meets Transport Canada manufacturing standards
  • The RV is being towed for personal use only."

Just to clarify - you still need a "D."  I THINK!?!?

The Ministry got it almost right.

No comments:

Post a Comment