Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Windows10 starts rolling out July 29th

I am very excited about FREE Windows 10 upgrades starting to roll out on July 29th.  I think most people will really enjoy it.

If you currently have Windows 7 and didn't really like or just decided not to go to Windows 8, you will definitely love Windows 10.  Here are just a few of features you will like:

- The Windows 7 like start menu is back and you can expand it to include app icons currently available on Windows 8.
- You will now have access to the Microsoft Store and the ability to download thousands of apps - many are free.  I particularly like the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Microsoft Sudoku and the great news and information apps - all free.
- Your computer will be much more secure - Downloading apps from the store is much more secure than downloading them from an unknown site on the internet.  Windows Defender is a great anti-virus system and is included in Windows 10.
-  You'll really like the speed.  Windows 10 boots up much quicker and takes a lot less resources.  You can actually run it on a phone or a tablet.

Even if you are a Windows 8 user now you will enjoy these new features:

- Internet Explorer has been replaced with a new browser called Microsoft Edge.  It is much faster and much more secure.
- Multiple Desktops - this will take a bit of getting use to but I have used this feature for a long time with Linux and really love it.  If you have a lot of windows open and applications running you can organize them on different desktops.

... and Finally:

Cortana - your personal digital assistant - "Ask me anything"

Cortana is a voice activated assistant.  Just say "Hey Cortana." Ask questions or ask for reminders.  Here are a couple of things I have asked:
Hey Cortana -
Play music - The eagles
How is the weather?
Launch Microsoft Word
Is rice a vegetable?
Tell me a joke.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview as a member of the Windows Insider Program.  I have watched Windows 10 improve over the past year as Microsoft has listened to the insiders and has reacted to all their suggestions.
I use Windows 8.1 for the things I do day-to-day right now but I am looking forward to the update on July 29th.
If you are a participant in our computer classes we are looking forward to running through all the exciting new feature with you and check out my previous post to find out how to reserve your FREE copy.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment